The state of play August 2016

Ok here's how it works. Because of spammers you can see one thread. We did have the board open but it got flooded with spam. So unless you ask us, or post three times, this is all you're ever going to see. It sucks, but it contains the spammers. So post something, say hello, let us know you're here and we'll bump you up to the big board. If you're not a spammer.
Daedra
Administrator
Administrator

The state of play August 2016

Postby Daedra » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Hiya

Well, I wrote DF in 2010 (mostly), and by writing it I polished up my PHP and other skills enough to start coding professionally after a ten year break. Now, six years later, I work as a professional developer. I look back on DF's code and wince, but it got me here. And life's pretty damned good here, certainly better than it was in 2010.

The online world has changed, and my little 2010 derivation of a 2005 derivation of a 1998 Perl script (astoundingly still going) is looking very old indeed. I have other demands on my time - I'm getting married, I work full time, I'm a homeowner, I (part)run a theatre company. It all eats into the time and brain space I used to spend on DF, and in the end, much as I love it it's just one game in an insanely crowded marketplace.

I'm not deleting it. DF will not die. But development of DF is now officially shelved. I thank DF from the very bottom of my heart. Truly I do, it transformed my life. Everything good I have in my life today I have from DF. So I should also truly thank the people over on Abyss for permabanning me and spurring me on to writing it :lol: Thank you guys, in the extraordinarily unlikely event that you're reading this, thank you. You saved my life. But it's not 2010 anymore.
Sheila
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The state of play August 2016

Postby Sheila » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:46 am

First, youre awesome . Second i will write more when i get my keyboard fixed . <3
Thank you, Stella!

Woot! Woot! Truck it up!
Sheila
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sheila » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:16 am

Well, I have a temporary fix for the keyboard so I'm going to finish my thoughts.

First, thank you for the best place on the internet. Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for the laughter and the great writing. You helped me in a million wonderful ways (some you'll never know about) by just being you and creating this space in the vastness of the internet. Yup, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm glad you're not shutting it down. I think I'd have to make a special visit to your side of the pond to glare at you. :lol: I don't think there will come a time when I'm 'done' with DF. I have too many characters invested in this place and too many wonderful memories. And I won't ever stop writing here even if no one ever sees any of the stories so keep thank you for keeping the doors open.

But you're right; it's not 2010 any more. To quote LOTR; "The world has changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Ok, that was a bit drastic, but it feels that way. I'm happy for you and I wish you the best!

See you around DF sometime, 'Coding Lord'. <3!
Thank you, Stella!

Woot! Woot! Truck it up!
Ash
Graphics Design Team

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:48 am

<3 you all know how much change has happened in my own life. And I'm so thankful for the support and friendships I've gained from here. I'm sorry I haven't been back here for awhile with everything. But I wish you the best Ged, thank you for everything.
kusin
Night Terror

Postby kusin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:39 pm

I love you to bits Ged as I do all of you and as with many here this has been a refuge as well as a home so I say thank you for not shutting us down I will finnish my story lines at some time hopefully soon. Love you guys be safe and bless! xxx
I love the taste of blood!
Daedra
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daedra » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:19 am

It's going nowhere, if you lot want to play on it then please do. If it gets actve enough I may join in :lol:
Sheila
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Sheila » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:56 pm

*sings* Do you wanna build a sno....er play a game? :lol:
Thank you, Stella!

Woot! Woot! Truck it up!
Starr
Graphics Design Team

Postby Starr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:01 pm

Well, first off yeeeee! Congratulations, secondly I'm glad you're keeping the site running. I'm very grateful for this creative outlet. I'd recently been reminiscing about RPing and the camaraderie that I've been missing, partially because of no internet. It's nice to find the time to wander back and find good news
This is an OOC account
xCurrently selling souls on Craigslist.
Fresh out of souls. Sorry Daedra.

Salmon
Amber
Voidwalker
Voidwalker

Postby Amber » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:31 am

Best of luck in all you do!

Glad DF will still be around to lurk on <3
OOC: Do you want free stuff on the DF game?! °PM° me! <3 let's talk! :love:
±§acred Mother± • °VoidWalker° • The Inner Circle RIP beloved Priestess CC ♥

Amber Rose

A Young Players Guide Books - (WIP)
Daedra
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daedra » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:32 am

DF is going nowhere. Tell a lie, I have two servers - this one has 1 cpu and iirc half a gig of ram; the other one has 2 cpus and 3 gigs. So it might be moving over there.

If it got an audience the urge to tell its story might resurface but such an old codebase though... and everything I tried to achieve with it has been pretty much done with a 20 million Euro budget over on Secret World (except DF doesn't fry your graphics card. And is more narratively consistent. And doesn't contain any sodding platform levels)

Return to “Welcome”