Something to Keep in Mind.

Ok here's how it works. Because of spammers you can see one thread. We did have the board open but it got flooded with spam. So unless you ask us, or post three times, this is all you're ever going to see. It sucks, but it contains the spammers. So post something, say hello, let us know you're here and we'll bump you up to the big board. If you're not a spammer.
Brill
Dweller in Darkness
Dweller in Darkness

Something to Keep in Mind.

Postby Brill » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 pm

While this is not directed at any one person specifically but, something recent has set me to thinking more about it.

"I want."

We all want things in this game. But one of the main things we seem to neglect as we want, is Ged himself. He is but one man who, through his generosity, has given us a fantastic place to play. A new world to explore through our various characters eyes. He has worked tirelessly and often neglecting his own needs (sleep and food sort of comes to mind there ol' boy!) to give us a solid amount of fun while visiting DF.

The higher level players want more to do, the mid level players want to be higher level, and the low level player want things to make gaming easier. Ged wants us to play and enjoy ourselves and because of this he works and works and works, and it seems to me there's been even more "I want." from the players. I would imagine Ged would like to be able to play his own game and get the same enjoyment from it as the rest of us.

Are we cats? You feed us and we want more and will keep coming back until someone else feeds us? Or, are we kind understanding people who will come to realize there is just one guy doing the coding, and this one guy's life doesn't revolve around an online fantasy game. "How dare you have meaningless things like friends, interests, family. You should be ashamed! Now get back to your dungeon and create more stuff for me to play with."

I have been guilty of these things myself. For that I will offer a sincere apology to Ged as it was never my intent to alienate you from DF nor make it feel like this was a mere job and not a enjoyable hobby. I am not saying this is what has happened but, I know people well enough to know if things keep on as they have been and people keep pushing, it will happen.

We as players need to be a bit more understanding and patient. Much of what you're all seeing now didn't exist a year ago. It is through the efforts of one person implementing ideas thrown at him from all sides that we have what we do now. He's asked for help in the past for images and such, and he's also mentioned in the past players can make maps too. If we as players don't step up to the plate when he's asked for help, then we have no room to bitch about how things are.

If we don't like what we see in DF, then we need to remind ourselves this is no where near a finished product. It's in beta testing. Nothing is set in stone, though we seem to act as if everything is the final draft. We can't do that and we shouldn't do that.
Void Walker
Sem'ya
This is our Town
Daedra
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Something to Keep in Mind.

Postby Daedra » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:01 am

thank you for your kind words, it is always good to feel appreciated :) I will say though that seeing people enjoy something that I wrote is beyond bloody flattering. Seing them get excited and enthusiastic about it is such a buzz, it really is :D
Estella
Life Thief
Life Thief

Postby Estella » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 am

Good, I've a feeling Brill isn't beyond beating you with his gratitude if you don't accept it.

Because frankly, Ged my dear, you are wonderful <3
          Order of the Blood Rose ❦ The Order above All
            Danann ❦ The Blue Fae ❦ Eccentric Glamour

Dressed for Success by Macabre
Holly
Voidwalker
Voidwalker
Companion: McFardle

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:00 am

Estella wrote:Good, I've a feeling Brill isn't beyond beating you with his gratitude if you don't accept it.

Truth ^.^
Thank you, Mac!

Keeper of the Twee-Twees of Doom!
Northrax
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Postby Northrax » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Three
Cassady
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Postby Cassady » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 pm

How did I miss this?

<< We all love the ged?

And I want brill to be morgana's slave...soo ged? Whatcha think?

*evilgrin*
Ash
Graphics Design Team

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 am

Holly wrote:
Estella wrote:Good, I've a feeling Brill isn't beyond beating you with his gratitude if you don't accept it.

Truth ^.^
Mirah
Life Thief
Life Thief

Postby Mirah » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:46 am

... Is there anything I can help you with, Ged?

I certainly appreciate all the work you and Sheila and Pete and everyone puts into this place!

If I can do it... I'll try. I promise.

I know sometimes I suck. And RL happens. Or I forget my passwords.

But I'm around, I promise. You've only to BUZZ me on Y!M and give me a jostle.

I'd keep Skype up... But I just, frankly, don't care for it much.
Follow the Yellow Brick Road.

Where are they?
Daedra
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Daedra » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 am

I have Skype on my laptop, I can't run it on my desktop beause it takes over port 80 and my main test server uses that. And I haven't used yim in years - I'm not even sure I've still got it installed. Be careful if you show your bosoms on it - British spies are watching.

As for help.... I don't know what DF needs most. Graphics and design I suspect, although the best thing would be to catapult it back in time 16 years to when these grid games were the mutt's pyjamas. More people. A return to a more RP based board. The sort of colector's culture a certain other game had. DF has been a learning experience, I genuinely don't know the answers. I'm open to suggestions.
Ash
Graphics Design Team

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:51 am

Graphics/Designs are on hold until we know what sizes/items are needed.

<.<

Return to “Welcome”